St. Patty's Design

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mother of Three!

It has taken me forever to post about this baby!  I've had some questions about labor and delivery and so I will fill you in...

Against my better judgment, I was persuaded to be induced the Monday following my due date.  I was technically due on May 18th but my doctor had been trying to persuade me for two weeks before then to be induced because I was dilated and effaced and my personal opinion is that he didn't want to rush to the hospital in the middle of the night...  He kept telling me that I would go fast and probably wouldn't need pitocin or anything to help me along if he broke my water.

We got to the hospital at 11:00 AM and the doctor came at noon and broke my water and then said, "it is going to be a while".  As he was leaving, he told the nurse to start me on pitocin at 1 PM if I hadn't progressed significantly.  I said I didn't want pitocin and he said I didn't have to have it but it would help things move faster...

At 1 the nurse came to start the pitocin and I asked her to check me first to make sure I hadn't progressed and I had but only to like a 4.5 and I started at like 3.5-4 ish.  So, I decided to get an epidural because I know pitocin makes contractions way harder and I was under the impression that it would be a long time.  I got the epidural, which totally numbed me, and she started the pitocin at about 1:30.  That's when I had a little meltdown.  It felt all wrong to me.  I was shaky from the epidural and I hated that I had to have pitocin. I swear that stuff makes me mad, triggers some angry chemicals in my brain or something.

At about 2:30, I asked for a nurse to check me because I could tell things were happening but I couldn't tell how far along things were because I couldn't feel anything.  She came in and I was all the way dilated and ready to go so she called the doctor.  When he got there, I was so frustrated cause I couldn't even feel to push or anything so he asked the nurse to get him forceps which I didn't want.  He said either we could do the forceps or he would go back to his office and wait an hour for the epidural to wear off enough for me to feel it.  So I gave in again.

Once he used the forceps, I pushed twice and Boston was out.  I tore badly and I really feel like that wouldn't have happened if I had just let things happen naturally.  No breaking the water, no pitocin, no epidural and certainly no forceps.  Our bodies are made to have babies and I have had one naturally and my recovery was so much better that I really regret not holding to my guns and doing it the way I felt was right.

Anyway, I am healing fine and Boston is great!  He ended up being 8 lbs 14 oz and 20.5 inches long.  He was born officially at 2:55 PM on May 21st.  He is here and I am glad and I learned a lot yet again.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

So sorry your experience wasn't what you'd hoped for. I'm glad you are recovering well, though, and that Boston is here, happy and healthy! Congrats!

Kara said...

Congrats on a handsome healthy boy! I really love his name!

And I want you to know that you are not alone with being dissatisfied with how everything went. I have had a couple experiences where I felt very pressured and anxiety ridden and as a result I didn't stick to my guns. It's taken me a LONG time, but I have finally stopped having regrets about it and just try to remember so I can make sure the next time goes differently. :) Doctors make it difficult sometimes to not second guess yourself and you feel like you need to listen because they're the doctor - I totally understand your feelings! I hope you continue to recover well and remember how awesome you are...you had a baby! :)

Kara said...

First, congratulations to you and Jason on your healthy baby boy!

Second, I'm a little confused as to why your doctor was so quick to use something to get the baby out, especially forceps of all things (forceps are harder on you than the baby, which is a big reason as to why you tore so bad). He seems like a very impatient doctor.

I'm sorry you felt that way through your labor and delivery. It stinks when you don't get the experience you want, but I'm glad in the end everyone is healthy and happy!

Melanie and Jared said...

That sounds awful, I was unhappy with my second one, she was face up and scratches on her forehead and nobody knew why. But like you said, at least he is here and healthy, and you can put it behind you. How many more kids are you having?

JeNnA said...

A different Dr. next time. Sorry it was a horrible experience. But thank goodness that babe is here! Congrats!

Kierstin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kierstin said...

That deleted comment was me. I had some stupid auto corrects and then didn't have time to fix them. Anyway, Boston is really a cute little guy! That doctor...I'd like to slap that man!

Amanda Tippetts said...

Jason wants 5 but i am not committed to that. I am feeling pretty good with three and i am not even close to talking about being pregnant again...

Mindy B said...

Oh man, sorry about your birth experience. :( But what a cutie pie baby BOY you have, congrats!! I look forward to seeing more pictures. :)

Reinhardt Family said...

Congratulations on precious Boston!!! I tried for weeks to capture the perfect yawn and was never able to!!! Love that pic!!! Doctors are not so good at listening to patients these days....I wanted a c-section so bad so sound like your doc and I would have gotten along fine....SUPER Happy for you and your family!!!!