St. Patty's Design

Friday, October 19, 2012

When all of my roles collide

It is one of those weeks when every part of my life is demanding at the same time.  When I have a moment, I kind of panic and think I must be forgetting something because I know I have so much to do.

I felt especially torn about tomorrow.  I had an opportunity at my school to earn licensure points and $80 for 4 hours of training.  My sister was going to watch my kids so I was going to get to hang out with her also.  It turns out that this training conflicted with the primary program practice, a presidency meeting I had scheduled, and a birthday party for a boy in our ward that just got out of the hospital after having heart surgery.  As soon as I realized the conflict existed, I decided not to do the training but I was so disappointed.

I had very supportive friends telling me things like, "we have a whole ward family so no one has to do everything by themselves" and "Can't you find someone to help out? I am sure there are plenty of people willing" etc.  So I got it all worked out. I found other people to help with the party and my awesome 1st Counselor and Music Leader totally could handle the practice without me.  I even found a friend to keep Whitney and take her to the practice so she wouldn't have to miss it.

I kept thinking about tomorrow and I was just not feeling happy about missing all these things.  I remember really loving President Uchtdorf's talk from conference, so I reread it and changed my mind yet again.


To avoid some of the deepest regrets of life, it would be wise to make some resolutions today. Therefore, let us:
  1. Resolve to spend more time with those we love.
  2. Resolve to strive more earnestly to become the person God wants us to be.
  3. Resolve to find happiness, regardless of our circumstances.
I decided that the money and points wouldn't matter to me as soon as next month but my potential for making memories was WAY higher staying home and doing the practice and party.  I feel good about my decision but a little sheepish for not just making the correct choice and stickin' to it in the first place.

8 comments:

Becky said...

You rock! Way to read words of general conference for guidance in your life. You're a busy gal and you're amazing and touching many lives. Miss you!!!!

JeNnA said...

As your friend becky said... you really do rock! I just got an app on my phone so that i could listen and re-listen to conference.I listened to president uchdorfs talk again. Its by far my favorite. i love it! way to go for using that message in your life!

Lisa said...

Amanda, you are amazing! Thanks for inspiring me to be a little better.

Kierstin said...

Way to make the best choice, even though the other would have been a well justified one.

Melanie and Jared said...

I will remember this next time I feel like I am busy. You have a lot going on!

Angela said...

Amanda, I love you! I miss living by you to have your constant example and strength to motivate me to be better. I don't know how you balance it all!

Cassidy said...

You are awesome. What a wonderful way to remember words from conference and apply them to your life as you saw fit. You'll be blessed for all your sacrifices!

Kara said...

Thanks for the reminder about what's really important! It's really easy to get things mixed up when you're busy.